What are your top reasons for training your dog? Here are my top 6!
1. Training will bring out the best in your dog. It won’t make your dog someone they are not, but it can help them be the best they can be.**
2. Your dog will be happier. When dogs are trained, they generally get to spend more time with their families at home and more time enjoying on-leash and off-leash activities away from home. They also relax more because they know what to expect in specific situations.
3. You may be happier too. Your dog will learn to make good choices (so you don’t have to intervene as often). You will also have tools to help your dog out if the situation demands it.
4. Your communication skills will grow stronger. Training is all about two-way communication between you and your dog. It is helping your dog understand and want to do what you would like him to do. It is also about you gaining the skills to understand what your dog is saying to you.
5. Training can build trust. Through training, your dog will learn to trust that you have her best interests at heart. You will also gain trust (and respect!) for who your dog is.
6. Training strengthens our bond. When you are using positive reinforcement training methods, training is fun! What could be better than playing with your dog while you are helping her learn better manners?!
**Training is such an important part of living with dogs. However, it is equally important that we respect who are dogs are, and not expect training to turn them into something else. A high drive herding dog will never be a couch potato lab. A well bred guardian dog may never be an easy going spaniel. Who is your dog? Training can help you bring out the best in your dog.